Dating fender amps chassis number
The name 'brownface' stems from the brown-colored control panels, common to both the brown- and cream/blonde- Tolex-covered amps.
The brownface amps originally featured a dark maroon or "oxblood" grillcloth, which was changed to "wheat" in 1962-63.
Fender amplifiers became established with the tweed series, wood cases covered in varnished cotton twill in the manner of suitcases of the era.
(The nickname is a misnomer, as tweed is a coarse woollen fabric, often woven in a twill pattern.) They were produced for more than a decade.
Grillcloth was initially the same as used in the previous tweed era, maroon with gold stripe.
Beginning in mid to late 1961, Fender introduced another color combination: a smoother but still light brown tolex with a dark maroon or "oxblood" grillcloth.
There were only six amplifiers covered in tolex originally, the Professional Series: Bandmaster, Concert, Pro, Super, Twin (production halted Feb-May 1960, resumed as the blonde Twin) and Vibrasonic.
These were considered a step above the student models (Champ, Harvard, Princeton) which remained tweed-covered in 1960.
Toward the end, despite keeping such construction, Fender utilized Tolex to cover its amps.The first amplifiers made in-house by the Fender Electric Instrument Company have been dubbed the Woodie series, built in 1946 through 1948.They included the Model 26 Deluxe, the Princeton, and the Professional.The shift from tweed to Tolex occurred in limited production in 1960.The tolex on the earliest versions in this era was pinkish brown and rough textured.
While the majority of the piggybacks were produced in blonde tolex, there are a few examples of the brown tolex Bassman amplifiers.