Dating royal doulton plates
In 1901, the popularity of Doulton products came to the attention of the Royal family and the Burslem factory was granted the Royal Warrant by King Edward VII The business adopted bold new markings and a new name: Royal Doulton.
By 1871, Henry Doulton had launched an art wares studio at the Lambeth pottery, and offered work to designers and artists from the local art school.
It was a great success and the artists included Arthur, Florence and Hannah Barlow, Frank Butler, Mark Marshall, Eliza Simmance, and George Tinworth.
In 1882, doulton purchased the small factory of Pinder, Bourne & Co, at Nile Street in Burslem, Staffordshire – bringing doulton right to the heart of The Potteries. because of the artistic direction of John Slater, who worked with a wide variety of figurines, vases, character jugs, and decorative pieces.
In about 1930 a new form of the ‘standard’ mark was introduced bearing the words ‘Made in England ‘ above the Royal Doulton name and this mark was used until recent times.
The date numbers referred to above may, or may not, accompany this mark.
The Doulton name and reputation continued to grow along with its extensive range, which included flambé ware, titanian ware, and bone china.